GET FREE QUOTE
Home > Resources > Moving Out of State Checklist
Moving Out of State Checklist
Moving Yourself is providing this moving out of state checklist to help you ensure a smooth move. It should be used as a guide to create a specific plan for your upcoming relocation.
15 to 30 Days Before You Move
- Get rid of anything you aren't bringing with you.
- Dispose of household chemicals like old paint and car oil.
- Make a list of everything you're bringing to your new home.
- Find out the replacement value of all belongings for your insurance purposes.
- Fill out a USPS change of address form. Notify friends, family and creditors of your new address.
- Fill out an IRS change of address form.
- Get copies of your medical and dental records, if necessary.
- Get copies of veterinary records, if necessary.
- Find out about auto licensing in your new state.
- Notify your children's schools and have their records transferred to the new schools.
- Make hotel and airline reservations (Delta Air Lines) if needed.
- If driving, get detailed map directions to your new home.
7 to 14 Days Before You Move
Review your Moving Yourself contract to make sure the address, zip code, feet and date are correct. Call Moving Yourself if changes are needed. Make sure we have a phone number on file to reach you at your destination city.
- Make arrangements to disconnect gas, electric and other utilities.
- Make arrangements to connect utilities at your new home.
- Arrange to have major appliances prepared for the move.
2 to 7 Days Before Your Move
- Dispose of all flammables. You cannot place any flammables on the trailer.
- Figure out what you're bringing with you in the car or plane.
- Obtain traveler's checks and/or cash for the trip.
- Pack a suitcase with the clothes and toiletries you'll need the first day in your new home.
- Pack a special box with other essentials you'll need for the first few days. (Make sure to mark this box "Do Not Move.")